A few SEO tips for free
Get me on to page 1 of Google
Most people when they ask about SEO services want to know if we can you get them on to page 1 of Google. Whilst this can have amazing benefits to business there are a few things we should point out:
- No one can guarantee you that top spot on Google. There is a lot of work we can do to improve your rankings and optimise your site – make it easier for web directories and people to find you.
- Why do you want to be found as no 1 on Google for a specific search term globally if you offer a local product or service?. Concentrate on the most important search terms for your business. If you are a tree surgeon in Reading then this is what you should be concentrating on. These terms should feature within in the body of your copy and within your page titles and headings.
- The first few items on Google are paid for searches. These are the ones that are slightly shaded at the top of the page or are at the side of the page. You can be shown here if you advertise with Google Adwords. Dependant on how popular the search term is depends on the price you will pay to advertise, a bit of keyword research will help you here.
- Google is not the only search engine out there. Although there are quite a number, the main ones are Google, Bing and Yahoo. So make sure you are focusing on your rankings here too.
- A good starting point is to find the top ranking keywords for what you do. On a very basic level you need to add these to the content of your site including headings, titles and descriptions. Keep chipping away at your site adding keywords and nice fresh content often. Use Googles Keyword research tool or SEM Rush or another good site is Traffic Travis. They will help you determine which keywords to use and enable you to use different tools to analyse your site, really useful!
A few dont’s as well
- Don’t go mad over keywording every page – this will score negative points with Google. It’s a bit like an exam, if you use the same words over and over again, it highlights you don’t know very much and just ends up being irritating to all that fall upon it!
- Don’t pay for loads of links to your site. We have all seen the Companies that promise you 000’s of links for very little but be wary a bad link or two can do a lot of damage to your SEO. A bit like friends, you need to be careful who you associate with as Google sees you as being guilty by association!!
There are lots of other things you can do to boost your SEO. And there will be more tips to follow shortly, but if you need some SEO help right now get in touch.